Shortly after starting my newest company, DisAbility Mama & Co, a close family member asked me, “Why is it that everything you do has to do with disability? Every one of your businesses, every non-profit you have started, every organization you volunteer for, etc.”
I had a few thoughts in response.
1. Are you kidding me? Really?
2. How after so many years (25), can it be that you still don’t understand?
3. It’s my calling – it’s what I was meant to do.
4. There is so much needed in this space.
5. How cool is it that everything I get to do in some way benefits my girls and/or others like them?
6. Why should I even have to explain?
After rapidly considering each of the above silent thoughts, I responded by saying, “I guess it’s because I love my girls so much, I can’t imagine doing anything else.” The response? “Well, you’re girls are lucky because I doubt most people would do that or would even want to and she walked away.” I’m the lucky one. I wear the DisAbility Mama shirt and hat proud and say it loud, “I’m a DisAbility Mama.”